About CPBJH JV
CPBJH JV brings together two of Australia’s leading construction partners, CPB Contractors and John Holland, with unparalleled expertise in large-scale and complex project management, civil construction, traffic management and tunnelling.
The West Gate Tunnel is a partnership between the Victorian Government and Transurban. The Joint Venture has been chosen as the preferred contractor for construction, which will begin in 2018 following planning assessment.
About the Project
The West Gate Tunnel Project is a city-shaping project that will deliver a vital alternative to the West Gate Bridge, provide quicker and safer journeys, and remove thousands of trucks off residential streets.
We aim to maximise the potential of all our people. This means having an inclusive culture that values and sustains diversity and a work-life balance. To achieve this, we are focused on:
- Embedding flexible work practices
- Providing development opportunities for our women
- Leaders championing and supporting our females to succeed
- Actively looking to attract and promote women into non- traditional roles and putting support structures in place to help them succeed.
About the Opportunity
To support the delivery of the West Gate Tunnel Project we are looking for an Engineering Manager to provide technical leadership to the Precast team and liaising with the other Zone and discipline design managers. The Engineering Manager will be required to liaise with designers and delivery teams to ensure Permanent and Temporary Works are compliant, fit-for-purpose, timely and delivered on budget with minimum rework as well as provide oversight for the design works ensuring adequacy of design based on construction cost, safety, all of which is to ensure positive outcomes based on best for project principles.
The role will be Melbourne based with travel to Benalla, Victoria required.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the largest Precast Manufacturing Facility in Australia and be part of the team supporting the West Gate Tunnel Project. During peak production, up to 1500 tonnes of concrete per day will be produced with a workforce of up to 300 people.
Typical Tasks and Responsibilities
- Manage and provide leadership to the Precast team via the discipline leads.
- Supervise the work of subordinate design and drafting staff to ensure the project requirements are met.
- Plan and control the delivery of project design to ensure the achievement of quality, completion and project objectives.
- Select and engage, then monitor the performance of external design partners within the discipline including their deliverables, costs and timeframes.
- Manage the design approval and change processes in accordance with project requirements and program
- Prepare budgets and schedules of design delivery for management approval then manage and report the cost of design delivery in the project life cycle.
- Manage design to ensure the cost of the works meets project requirements.
- Demonstrate commercial and contractual awareness in dealing with clients and external design partners.
- Manage client and stakeholder expectations and communicate effectively with the project team
- Select and develop design management staff within the project by providing leadership and mentoring to ensure their design management competencies.
- Foster the interaction between design and construction teams to maximise innovation and project success.
- Understand design compliance and reporting procedures and processes and leadership in the communication of requirements.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Tertiary Qualification in Architecture, Building, Construction, Engineering or Quantity Surveying
- 5+ years’ Design experience
- 5-10 years experience in technical management roles on significant projects
- 5-8 years’ Construction experience
- Multi-discipline project experience in Building, Construction and Design
- Proven commercial and legislative compliance skills and design frameworks and systems
- Demonstrated competencies in Head Contract and Subcontract understanding and interpretation
- Strong stakeholder management with major consultant partners
- Awareness of risk management principles and how design can impact operational risk
- Proficient skills in relevant computer software packages and necessary to perform the role
- Strong time and cost management skills in timely delivery of design and management of both the costs of preparing design and the costs of the works
CPBJH JV is committed to equal employment opportunity (EEO) and actively seeks to remove barriers people may face in gaining a successful position on the West Gate Tunnel Project. We value diversity in our team and people who share our values of authenticity, respect and excellence are encouraged to apply.